Today’s card started out as an experiment. A very fun and colourful one too, I might add. I wasn’t sure it was going to work but I kinda dig the bold look that came out of it.
There is no actual colouring done for this either, I have used Ken Oliver Color Burst powders with water colour card stock and a spritzer. The colours tend to go all over the place but it sure is fun!
I’m getting a bit ahead of myself here though so let’s go back to the beginning: I cut out the floral outlines using one of the Bella Flora diecuts, in black card stock. These were set aside for later use. Then I cut out the “shadow” bit out of Ranger Ink watercolour card stock.
I was completely winging it here, by the way. The first one I used some masking tape on to try and keep the colours from going all over the piece but that didn’t really work out the way I thought it would.
For the next two pieces I just sprinkled the powder on the piece directly and then sprayed water on top of it to activate the colour.
This worked a bit better but you have very little control where the colours go, unless you dab them up with kitchen roll. Out of the two ways I tried, this was the most fun and gave the loveliest result.
When the watercolored pieces were dry (you can speed up this process by using your heat gun on them) I glued down a floral outline to each one. These I set aside while working on the background. At first I thought it might look nice with a white background but no, that was too plain. And then I tried it with a black one.. that was also a no. As was a purple one. Ay. It was not going so well until I thought to add some black dots to a white card base.
I put the three floral pieces together so they would all fit on the card base and then using that shape as a guide, I dotted the background around it. Bigger dots towards the flowers and smaller out towards the edges. It looked great if I may say so myself but still needed another little something-something. The answer came with more dots, only these are made with a glitter gold gel pen.
To finish the card off I simply diecut a ‘hello’ from the Bella Flora diecut set, one in gold card stock and one in black. These two I layered up, slightly off centre to create a shadow, and adhered that under the flower cluster in the bottom right corner.
A no-stamping card but it still has a lot of wow-factor, that’s what I call a crafty win-win.
Thanks for stopping by today. As this is my last post as a DT for the Ink Road, I won’t see you here again but hopefully out in the crafting cosmos instead. All the best to Lara, the DT and all of the Roadies of course!
Lots of love from Erica